Monday, May 28, 2012

Good morning pflugerville from 5 28

It is 4:20am on he morning of the captex oly. My first race of the year.
I am staying up the road about 20mi at my brother and sister in law's house.
At home, my kids are wearing my wife out and my great Dane is having trouble walking and getting up to go to the bathroom. And he Internet doesn't seem to be working for my wife.
I have trouble focusing in situations like this. I really am tempted to just cancel and go home. I was so excited for this race yesterday and one bad call from home is enough to totally turn me around.
I really have to do some work on this.
Because if I can put focus together for a little sub 3 hr race, what am I going to do when things get tough over a 13 hr slog?
The truth is that my wife can handle whatever come up at home.
I need to learn home to stay focused on what I can control and let go of the rest.

I spent a few weeks in spin class a month or so ago. 2 of the guys from that class are here. Sure want to beat them. Not that they are anything other than nice.

My plan is to swim hard. As hard as I can while maintaining rhythm.

The bikes 4 loops with 3 180 turns rr loop. Ideally, I would go hard lap 1, all out lap 2 and 3 and then hard for 4.
But traffic is a problem in this race. So congestion might dictate when I rest.

The run will be by heart rate. I top out at 170 for 5k. This is a 10k but I want to try and stay up there as much as I can. I just want to see how long I can hold that level of discomfort. We will see. As long as I am running sub 8:30's that will be good enough for lap 1. I am not as wrapped up in negative splitting a race this short. My fastest 10k times (5k too) have come when I have gone all out early for a mile or so and then settled in and then kicked at the end.

Hope the fam is ok. But I am giving myself permission to let go of them till about 11am.

No comments:

Post a Comment