Thursday, May 10, 2012

I hate 5ks.

They are the standard test for run fitness and lthr. And they really hurt.
Yesterday I did one to set zones for endurance nation.
23:20 at 170bpm the whole way. Ugh.
I've gone a bit faster in the past. A minute or so but my expectations were not that high given the lack of running lately. The main thing is that I out the work in and kept my hr high and consistent. My left Achilles is a bit sore today.
At lunch I went to spin class for intervals for what might be the last time. We did Tabata, fartlek, the works.
The en folks don't like spin due to the different body position vs a tri bike. So I will be doing intervals on the trainer for the next while.
The volume with en is higher than my current but only by an hr or two per wk. but... There is no cf.
So I am going to have to feel my way in to this. I am considering cutting back to 2 or so classes per week durin the peak weeks for tri.
The reason is that I need more "long" than I do "fast". If you look at my times , I score much better on shorter runs. 13.1 and below and I move pretty well. I think that I have more top end than endurance. I think the top end comes from cf. and the lack of long comes from the lack of longer training.
I might need to retitle this blog. Because the deeper I get, the less cfe I am using.
Today is a travel day. We are on our way to Clinton Iowa. 4.5 hrs on planes and 2hrs in cars with a 6 yr old and a 2 yr old. Also an endurance sport.
Today's target workout from en is a 110 min run. Mostly zn1 with 2x10 min in z3. I need to learn my zones cold. I look forward to getting to the hotel at some point, strapping on the hrm and going for a jog.

No comments:

Post a Comment