Thursday, February 9, 2012

One more round

12.41mi in 1:50. Just faster than marathon pace.
I did the loop around my office twice. Can't say that it felt all that great. Might have been because i did not make time to take care of certain biological needs before heading out.
Nothing like being uncomfortable for almost 2 hours.
Or it might just be that 12mi is a long way to run before work.
Regardless, I am not looking forward to Sunday. I feel like I hit a major pr a couple of weeks back and I am not ready to put that kind of effort out again.
The answer , I think is to still do the run but turn the timer off. Let it be slow and easy and if I end up a little behind pace well that might be a motivator come race day.
But there is another aspect of this "almost to the taper" lack of motivation that feels familiar from past races.
In the back of my mind is this: after Sunday, it is time to cut back and rest up. 72hrs away is some rest. I have logged so many miles and most of the work is in. How important is this last long run? Perhaps not very. So why not skip it? That is what my brain is trying to tell me.
Another choice would be to split the mileage over Saturday and Sunday. Say 10 Saturday morning and 12 Sunday. But really, I expect that if I am not hurt or sick I will do the run. This is that point in the training (like me 22 in the race) when I just need to shut my brain off or ignore its chatter and put one foot in front of the other. Finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment